Can we reduce risks to bats?
Students will learn about the controversy surrounding bat mortality and wind turbines. They will research bat patterns and behaviors to gain a better understanding about wind's risks to bats. Students will use their research and findings to determine what times wind turbines should be shut off to decrease potential bat mortality.
Next Generation Science Standards
Disciplinary Core Ideas
- ESS1.B Earth and the solar system
- ESS3.A Natural Resources
- ESS3.C Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- LS2.C Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning, and Resilience
- LS4.D Biodiversity and Humans
Cross Cutting Concepts
- Stability and Change
At the end of the lesson students will be able to
- Understand the behavior of different bat species
- Explore the relationship between technology and nature
- Student reading passages and student worksheets
- Information packets for each team (bat fact sheets, bat mortality data)