How does energy affect wildlife?
Students will become acquainted with the impacts of electricity generation on wildlife. Students will research one or two generation technologies in groups and record its impacts on wildlife in a worksheet. They will then rank each technology based on its risks and impacts to wildlife.
Next Generation Science Standards
Disciplinary Core Ideas
- ETS1.A Defining and Delimiting an Engineering Problem
- ESS2.A Earth materials and systems
- ESS2.C The Roles of Water in Earth’s Surface Processes
Cross Cutting Concepts
- Stability and Change
At the end of the lesson students will be able to
- Understand the different wildlife effects and risks from electricity generated by coal, nuclear, hydro, and wind
- Complete a thorough life cycle analysis of each of the fuels to understand how the different phases are related to the different wildlife effects
- Student reading passages and student worksheets