What is wind power's risk to birds?
Students will learn about the controversy surrounding bird mortality and wind turbines. They will research bird patterns and behaviors to gain a better understanding about wind's risks to birds. Students will conduct a simple avian risk assessment at a potential wind farm site.
Next Generation Science Standards
Disciplinary Core Ideas
- ETS1.A Defining and Delimiting an Engineering Problem
- LS2.C Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning, and Resilience
Cross Cutting Concepts
- Cause and Effect
- Stability and Change
At the end of the lesson students will be able to
- Know about some avian behaviors such as feeding, migrating, and nesting
- Be able to collect, evaluate, and use data from a variety of sources
- Understand how birds can be impacted by turbines
- Student reading passages and student worksheets*
*included with this activity