KidWind Simulation Challenge

Join KidWind and Flinn Scientific’s WhiteBox Learning (WBL) to try your hand at building a simulated turbine! In this National Challenge, students use the WhiteBox Learning simulation software to construct and test virtual turbines and wind farms. While learning the software takes a little time, students will not need any materials to participate. The only requirement is an internet-connected computer (tablets are not supported). View details on system requirements.

How Does it Work?

The 2022 KidWind Simulation Challenge has concluded for the year. Check back in next fall for details about the 2023 virtual event!

Details below from the 2022 Simulation Challenge can help you plan for next year!

Important Dates

  • Registration Period: January 15 - March 1, 2022
  • Competition Opens: February 1, 2022
  • Competition Ends: April 1, 2022
  • Software Access Closes: June 30, 2022

Divisions

There are three divisions (4-5, 6-8, 9-12) in the National Simulation Challenge. Students can participate alone or on a team. If you are on a team, please note that each participant's performance in the sim will be aggregated using an algorithm that includes all team members' scores.

Print + Test Division

Students interested and able may 3D print the blade sets designed in the simulator. Students who have the appropriate equipment can print their wind turbine blades and then test and share the performance of these 3D printed blades in our Online Challenge portal. Details and rules can be found at the submission site.

Please note participation in this Print and Test Division is optional and will not impact your National Simulation Challenge scores or performance.

The Print and Test Division of the National Simulation Challenge closed on April 1, 2022 and awards were provided to top performers who submitted the performance data for their 3D printed blades and wind turbine to the Online Challenge portal.

Scoring & Leaderboard

A weekly leaderboard of the top performers was posted.

Performance scores for each team or individual are derived from participants' quiz scores, design iterations, and design performance on the turbine and wind farms. These scores then determine your standing in the KidWind National Simulation Challenge. Additional rules are listed below.

  • For teams consisting of only one student, their overall team score will be determined by the individual performance score in the simulator.
  • For teams consisting of more than one student, their overall team score will be calculated by combining team members individual performance with additional weight placed on the score of the team's top performer. For example, in a team of 4 students, the top performing team member's score will account for 60% of the overall team score, while the remaining 40% of the score will be calculated by averaging the individual scores of the 3 other team members.

On April 1, 2022 the Simulation Challenge closed. The 2022 KidWind Simulation Challenge top three performing teams from each division are:

High School Division:

  • First Place: Poolsville High School
  • Second Place: Ocean Lakes High School
  • Third Place: Exeter-West Greenwich- Morgan Beck

Middle School Division:

  • First Place: Hockaday School- Daisy 15
  • Second Place: Hockaday School- Daisy 18
  • Third Place: Hockaday School- Daisy 12

These top performers were also be invited to participate in the 2022 National KidWind Challenge.

Informational Webinar

We held an informational webinar to learn more about the 2022 National Simulation Challenge and how to participate. You can watch it here.

Registration

Registration for the Simulation Challenge is $25 per coach, with each coach able to register up to 5 students (they can be team or individuals). Once the registration is processed, the Coach will be receive an email with access codes for each student. These codes will allow each student individual access to the WhiteBox Learning KidWind 2.0 Wind Turbine Simulator program through June 30, 2022.

We do have scholarships available. Please fill out this form to apply.