KidWind Simulation Challenge
Join KidWind and Flinn Scientific’s WhiteBox Learning (WBL) to try your hand at building a simulated turbine! In this National Challenge, students use the WhiteBox Learning simulation software to construct and test virtual turbines and wind farms. While learning the software takes a little time, students will not need any materials to participate. The only requirement is an internet-connected computer (tablets are not supported). View details on system requirements.
How Does it Work?
Details below for the 2023 Simulation Challenge!
- Registration Period: December 1, 2022 - March 1, 2023
- Informational Webinar: January 4th - 4PM CT - Register
- Competition Opens - Software Access Opens: January 1, 2023
- Competition Ends: April 1, 2023
- Software Access Closes: June 30, 2023
There are three divisions (4-5, 6-8, 9-12) in the National Simulation Challenge. Students can participate alone or on a team. If you are on a team, please note that each participant's performance in the sim will be aggregated using an algorithm that includes all team members' scores.
Scoring & Leaderboard
A weekly leaderboard of the top performers will be posted.
Performance scores for each team or individual are derived from participants' quiz scores, design iterations, and design performance on the turbine and wind farms. These scores then determine your standing in the KidWind National Simulation Challenge. Additional rules are listed below.
- For teams consisting of only one student, their overall team score will be determined by the individual performance score in the simulator.
- For teams consisting of more than one student, their overall team score will be calculated by combining team members individual performance with additional weight placed on the score of the team's top performer. For example, in a team of 4 students, the top performing team member's score will account for 60% of the overall team score, while the remaining 40% of the score will be calculated by averaging the individual scores of the 3 other team members.
We held an informational webinar to learn more about the 2022 National Simulation Challenge and how to participate. You can watch it here.
We have planned a live webinar for interested educators on January 4th at 4PM CT sign up here to learn more about participating in this event.
Registration for the 2023 Simulation Challenge is $25 per coach, with each coach able to register up to 5 students (they can be team or individuals).
Once the registration is processed, the Coach will be receive an email with access codes for each student. These codes will allow each student individual access to the WhiteBox Learning KidWind 2.0 Wind Turbine Simulator program through June 30, 2023. These codes will be sent in early January 2023.
We do have scholarships available. Please fill out this form to apply.